Friday, September 5, 2008

Highs and Lows

I'm feeling some sadness tonight... not sure what brought it on. Maybe that unemployment is at an all time high (6.1% and probably only going up..). I'm grateful that neither I nor my family feels the effects of this falling economy, but my heart goes out to the millions who do. Maybe it was catching a glimpse of the Republican Convention on the news and realizing the magnitude of this November's election. I'm already so emotionally charged about the whole thing - I can't imagine what these next couple of months will bring. I still remember the sadness of 2004, and i wasn't nearly as invested. Maybe it was the older gentleman eating solo next to us at dinner tonight. He seemed content, but I could just hear my heart breaking for him. Then he asked the server for a bag so that he could take chicken bones home to his cat, and that really killed me. Is that all he has to go home to? A cat? Thank God for pets but oh gosh, how it pains me to think that so many don't have the family and friends that i'm lucky to have. Anyway i'm just feeling a little down that's all. And feeling foolish for getting so "depressed" about my stupid little problems (like losing this law school bulge - bleh). I can't fix the problems of the world overnight, but this evening's sadness reminded me to carve some time out of each day to spend in prayer. I've been so fixated on creating a morning ritual of working out and journaling that i've forgotten what should be the most important part of my day, and that's some serious QT with God. It's one of the best places to start, n'est ce pas?

No comments: