Saturday, July 30, 2011

New Yorker

{image from here}

I don't know what it is about this city, but it makes you busy.  There's a reason people are always in a hurry here - there's always somewhere to go, some place you were supposed to be 15 minutes ago, some train to catch, something.  Ironically, I've noticed it even more so this summer, a season traditionally associated with lazy days, no school and lots of pool time.  No more.  Suddenly I've become a person with so many work meetings, lunch appointments, apres-work "drinks", bridesmaid dress fittings (okay, I only have one of those, but still), 9:30 pm dinner reservations ON A WEEKDAY that I want to throw my filofax, iPhone and Blackberry in the freezer, take a train upstate and check into a cozy, quiet B&B.

I know it sounds like I'm complaining about a lot of "fun", and yes, some of it is fun, but it's also exhausting - I feel like I'm constantly trying to keep up.  And that, my friends, is why I can't wait for August 12 - a date on which I'll have been 28 (!! - more on this later) for twenty-four hours and I'll be on a plane to Florida for a real taste of summer - the tastes of sunscreen, saltwater and pina coladas.

Bon weekend!

1 comment:

Jack said...

New York a city that never sleeps. I have been to New York and I too have found it to be the busiest cities in the world. I am a digital nomad myself so I travel a lot