Monday, April 5, 2010

The Snooze (and Shopping Hiatus)

You Snooze, You Lose


That couldn't be more true. Some of you commented on the last post that hitting the snooze is a bad habit from which you suffer as well. Glad to hear I'm not alone! The longer I work, the more I hit snooze. It's bad. (It also doesn't help that the Blackberry alarm's first option is "Snooze for 5 min.") And I am 100% totally and completely convinced that the more you snooze, the more you lose. In other words, not waking up immediately after the first alarm blares means more difficulty getting up when you actually decide that you cannot call in sick and spend the day dreaming away.

I typically find myself in one of 2 scenarios:

1. Alarm blares. I can't bear the thought of getting out of my warm and comfy bed because I didn't get enough sleep last night (probably b/c I was up way too late watching Netflix episodes of Law & Order: SVU). Lola is adorably snuggled up against me. Snooze at least 3 times before getting up.

2. Alarm blares. I can't bear the thought of getting out of my warm and comfy bed because I've been having a great night of sleep, at least 8 hours, and I want more more more. I am, no doubt, in the middle of one of those deep, vivid and pleasant dreams. Each time I hit snooze and shut my eyes once more, I am immediately transported back to my dream. Sleep is so good. Snooze at least 3 times before getting up.

Both scenarios suck. The moral of the story? Don't hit snooze. It's bad news. Every article and blog post I've read about "becoming an early riser" says to set your alarm every day for the exact same time and to stretch and spring out of bed immediately after the alarm goes off. The first time.

Admittedly, I did not follow this rule this morning. I could not, for the life of me, fall asleep last night despite being in bed by 10. I knew I had to be at work before 8 a.m. today (that's REALLY early for moi) so I knew I needed lots of sleep. I didn't get it. I tossed and turned until 2 a.m., and even when I heard the alarm go off, I knew I had yet to fall into a deep reverie. I hit snooze twice.

So, from now on, there's a new policy in my house. Absolutely NO SNOOZIN'. Who's with me??

Shopping Hiatus (Attempt Deux)




Remember last year when I implemented a self-imposed shopping ban for a month and failed miserably? Yeah. This time we're doing things differently. Following suit from Joslyn's shopping hiatuses, I'm going to attempt to not buy extraneous and unnecessary items, but if I do mess up (and inevitably I will), I will come clean on the blog and move on. That way, there's no guilt or pressure but I'm still held accountable. Sound good?


4 comments:

Carrie...On The Cheap said...

I am totally with you. I Loooooooooove to snooze. I always have the best dreams right when I'm in and out during snoozing!!

The only thing I have found to counteract snoozing is getting an alarm clock that is a "dawn simulator". My BF and I have one in our room and it gets brighter in 15 minute intervals so it's like the sun rising in our room. By the time the alarm goes of on it, it is fully bright in our room. I still don't jump right out of bed, but it does prevent me from going back to sleep. It totally works, but they are a bit expensive.

Unknown said...

Im going on a no-buy from Easter to Mother's day. This week should fly by because I'm broke anyway! lol!

A'n'G Johnson said...

Having Chronic Fatigue Syndrome means not only is it easy to hit snooze but I can also justify it.
What I got in the habit of doing (now it is no longer necessary) was to place my phone with alarm near me, but a second alarm clock near the door. Or at least far enough away from your bed that you have to get out of bed and take at least 3 steps to turn it off. At that point you are already out of the warm cozy bed and moving. Just beware. The bed will call your name and remind you that you could be warm and cozy once again!

Rachel said...

It's so true. I've recently become a snooze-loving-gal. My job is making me miserable = i can't sleep well at night = i want to sleep non-stop.

It's horrible. I used to be an early riser. and it felt SO good. SO SO good. I need to get back in the habit. & I just may join in on your shopping hiatus.