Friday, April 30, 2010

Vegan Eats in NYC


Even though I fully admit to falling off the wagon during my visit to NYC, I also indulged in some seriously awesome vegan eats (that city is like veg heaven!). Sadly I didn't take any pics of my food (my camera sux), but I'm still happy to dish on the yummy treats I tasted.

Candle 79 - An upscale all vegan restaurant on the Upper East Side, Candle 79 is truly a treat. My friends and I dined here on the first night, and even they were impressed! The appetizers were phenomenal (the mushroom ravioli? OMG) as were the desserts (I had the strawberry rhubarb crumble a la mode). The entrees were just OK. The service was impeccable and the wine washed everything down quite nicely.

154 East 79th St. @ Lexington - Candle 79

Babycakes - The famous all-vegan bakery!!! I was stoked to try Babycakes but by the time I got there, I was exhausted from a day of walking around the entire city. A cupcake sounded a bit much for me, so I got donuts instead - one cinnamon sugar (my FAVE) and one toasted coconut. The cinnamon sugar? Oh I could eat about 10 of them... Luckily Babycakes is situated in the lower east side, which is a little bit out of way, thank goodness. Still, I anticipate making weekly trips to satisfy my sweet tooth. :)

248 Broome St. between Orchard and Ludlow - Babycakes NYC

Cafe Blossom East - Sister to Blossom Restaurant in Chelsea, Cafe Blossom East is even more inconvenient than Babycakes! It's waaayyyy up on the upper east side, but I begged my sister to take me there after our Monday morning visit to the MoMa. I'm so glad we did!!! I got the Tofu BLT (southern fried tofu, tempeh bacon, lettuce, tomato and basil mayo) with a side of some of the best fries I've ever had, and it was incredible. My sister got a grilled tofu salad with seaweed, which was good, but nowhere near as good as mine. :) I can't wait to try the one in Chelsea (my future 'hood!).

1522 1st Avenue between 79th and 80th - Cafe Blossom

2 comments:

noodlegirl said...

OH I would love to try those!

Sallie Ann said...

Love Candle 79, and really enjoying their cookbook. I've heard mixed reviews on Babycakes, but never been there myself. I think I would adore it!!! Glad you had a great time.

Did I send you a link to 4 Course Vegan? Since you'll be living there you should check it out. I'm dying to go. xo,SA