Friday, April 30, 2010

Vegan Eats in NYC


Even though I fully admit to falling off the wagon during my visit to NYC, I also indulged in some seriously awesome vegan eats (that city is like veg heaven!). Sadly I didn't take any pics of my food (my camera sux), but I'm still happy to dish on the yummy treats I tasted.

Candle 79 - An upscale all vegan restaurant on the Upper East Side, Candle 79 is truly a treat. My friends and I dined here on the first night, and even they were impressed! The appetizers were phenomenal (the mushroom ravioli? OMG) as were the desserts (I had the strawberry rhubarb crumble a la mode). The entrees were just OK. The service was impeccable and the wine washed everything down quite nicely.

154 East 79th St. @ Lexington - Candle 79

Babycakes - The famous all-vegan bakery!!! I was stoked to try Babycakes but by the time I got there, I was exhausted from a day of walking around the entire city. A cupcake sounded a bit much for me, so I got donuts instead - one cinnamon sugar (my FAVE) and one toasted coconut. The cinnamon sugar? Oh I could eat about 10 of them... Luckily Babycakes is situated in the lower east side, which is a little bit out of way, thank goodness. Still, I anticipate making weekly trips to satisfy my sweet tooth. :)

248 Broome St. between Orchard and Ludlow - Babycakes NYC

Cafe Blossom East - Sister to Blossom Restaurant in Chelsea, Cafe Blossom East is even more inconvenient than Babycakes! It's waaayyyy up on the upper east side, but I begged my sister to take me there after our Monday morning visit to the MoMa. I'm so glad we did!!! I got the Tofu BLT (southern fried tofu, tempeh bacon, lettuce, tomato and basil mayo) with a side of some of the best fries I've ever had, and it was incredible. My sister got a grilled tofu salad with seaweed, which was good, but nowhere near as good as mine. :) I can't wait to try the one in Chelsea (my future 'hood!).

1522 1st Avenue between 79th and 80th - Cafe Blossom

3 comments:

noodlegirl said...

OH I would love to try those!

Sallie Ann said...

Love Candle 79, and really enjoying their cookbook. I've heard mixed reviews on Babycakes, but never been there myself. I think I would adore it!!! Glad you had a great time.

Did I send you a link to 4 Course Vegan? Since you'll be living there you should check it out. I'm dying to go. xo,SA

KIRUTHIVASAN said...

I have been visiting your blog from past 3 months. The style of content flow looks to be marvelous.I would personally recommend our blog visitors to subscribe our posts to obtain useful posts like this periodically. Particularly post on Vegan Eats in NYC is awesome. Get in touch with us via our websites Veg Restaurant | Sweet Shop