Saturday, August 30, 2008

Back in Londy!

Hi friends! I've safely made it to London and i must say, if you can pay the extra bucks to do so, go first class on the Eurostar. It's much quieter (i.e. emptier), you get served a pretty yummy meal, free booze, free newspapers, etc. I thoroughly enjoyed the journey. We arrived in London mid-afternoon, and the weather could not have been better. We quickly made our way (God bless the tube) to our darling boutique hotel on Queens Gate and proceeded to take a stroll through Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens. Could not get over how beautiful the weather was, and apparently neither could Londonites. Everyone was strewn about the grass, stripped down, and soaking in the rare sunlight. After the park we made our way to Whole Foods on High Street Kensington, had some lunch (my body's been craving organic greens!!), shopped around, and then walked back to the hotel. That night we trekked to Brick Lane for some authentic Indian cuisine and found ourselves stuck in a tiny restaurant (but the best on Brick Lane!!) with a HUGE party of very drunk, VERY loud Brits. Oh my. Our food was delicious but our meal short - i could not stand the noise. Apparently at 25, i'm way too old for that stuff. (Note: the people at the table were at least my age or older.) After a very very long tube ride home, we finally collapsed into our Egyptian cotton sheets and went to bed. It's now Sunday, a rainy Sunday here in London (of course, the good weather couldn't possibly last for long in this city), and we had a small "continental" breakfast downstairs. Plans for the day include getting lost in Harrods and of course, afternoon tea at the Georgian restaurant in Harrods. Can't wait! Oh clotted cream, how i've missed thee.

Oh - did i mention that we had our little Ratatouille in our apartment in Paris? Uh huh... yup. Last night in Paris, i'm about 30 minutes into sleep when i hear M get up, turn on the light, and proclaim that a small trash can has been making some very mysterious noises. She picked it up, peered inside, then set it back down. Suddenly it started shaking all on its own. Sheer. Terror. Yup you guessed it! A mouse. I absolutely refused to look. Luckily M is much braver than i am and managed to throw the contents of the trash can (i.e. the mouse) out the window. Don't worry - it survived somehow. At first it just laid there on the concrete, but when we looked again, it was gone. Ew. EW EW EW. Needless to say, it took me a LONG time to go back to sleep after that little episode.

No comments: