Friday, September 25, 2009

Joy Diet: The Art of Nothing


After months and months of plenty of time for doing "nothing," of course this past week was one in which I could barely find time for sleep, let alone nothing. Ah, c'est la vie. So maybe I wasn't able to do nothing for 15 minutes every day, but when I did, it was beyond divine.

As I suspected, my bed (and my couch which is actually a daybed) became my go-to nothing havens. Last night, after a particularly stressful day, I opened the windows, lit a candle, and then crawled into my daybed with a huge comforter (it's actually been chilly here in Austin - amazing!). I didn't sleep, I didn't turn something over in my head over and over, I simply did nothing... for like 30 minutes! Amazing, friends. Amazing. (Oh and it didn't hurt that little Lola was snuggled against moi.)

How was your week of nothing? Are you excited or scared for what's on next week's plate: truth? I'm more than un peu nervous...

12 comments:

Melita said...

yay for doing nothing. the funny thing about nothing is that once you get the hang of it, it becomes addicting :)

Pink Heels said...

Congratulations! Finding time for nothing amongst chaos is a great exercise in maintaining balance in life. Great job this week in fitting in some "nothing time" for YOU!

Globetrotting Cacti said...

Sounds perfect!

Sherry said...

Okay, after reading this, I am ready to curl up and do exactly what you did...it sounds like bliss!!!

I'm looking forward to this week of truth...I think there will be some definite challenges with this one, but I'm ready!

Karen D said...

sounds wonderful. Enjoy whatever nothing time you carve out for yourself.

Lisa said...

What a beautiful experience of nothingness... it sounds like pure delight! I get the feeling that your way of doing nothing might be contagious... ;)

Lexington said...

I absolutely love the way that you described nothingness. This week of truth has really terrified me.

Leah said...

The week of truth scares me a bit, yes, but the nothing week was great prep for it!

Kaileen Elise said...

well i'm still working on my nothing practice & finding it hard to incorporate the truth. i made my collage, but i'm not that excited about it... i enjoyed reading your thoughts on nothing! xo kaileenelise

The Other Laura said...

I'm really learning to embrace doing nothing. Cool weather and a blanket helps!

Valli said...

I like doing nothing too. It's so great you found your nothing. Have a great week discovering truth.

Liz said...

How on earth can you stop actually thinking for 30 minutes?! I would love to learn how to meditate and stop those nonstop thoughts...

P.S. That bed looks unbelievably comfortable-- not helping my post-lunch food coma :)